very cool photo found here
I was reading something recently that was pondering how collectively we'd pronounce the numerals for this next year. I personally envision people will call it twenty-ten...seems to be the going term already. I personally like oh-ten myself just because it's kinda silly, yet also makes sense given we've already been using the oh-number for 8 years now. Although I like how the old timers would always refer to the turn of the last century with "the year one/five/ten" although I don't see us going in that direction either.
Speaking of directions, I've been thinking about them lately...well mine in particular. I've been spending a bit of time reflecting on this past year, all that it was & all that it wasn't, and trying to project ahead to next year, to all I hope it is & all I hope it isn't. I know alot of people put alot of emphasis on the beginning of a new year, and it's hard not to do...it holds such undenialble freshness, newness, & promise. I am no exception, although I don't like doing traditional "resolutions," but I have always been a fan of "goals." More & more I believe in the power of intention: of envisioning something, naming it, holding it in your heart, and then releasing it out for it to return back to you pure & strong & beyond anything you could have envisioned in your own little mind.
So this year is no expection...I have goals, I have wants, I have half-dreamed dreams that I'm ready to set free and await their return to me in the form that will best suit me. Some of my list of goals are big & far reaching, some are small yet enriching. I like the mix to keep me from feeling overwhelmed.
So here it is, my list of 2010's To-Dos
- replace job with more satisfying one (I've started down a new career path, but a new job will not happen this year).
- California friend visit (LA or SanFran) (not gonna happen :( this year)
- open an Etsy shop (not gonna happen this year)
- day photo road trip (took a day trip to Round Top 5/2010, plus I also did some photoing while in Bastrop with Mom for Mother's Day weekend)
- submit a short story for publication (did not happen this year, but definitely next year)
- start novel, in earnest (I'll be darned, thanks to NaNoWriMo, this actually happened--I got about 21,000 words towards my first novel attempt!!! Yay me!)
- join an online project/group (photo, art, writing) (this year I joined a few, whether they were e-courses or just for fun--so far Unravelling Winter, Experimental Art Ecourse, Sexy on the Page, Claudine Hellmuth's art ecourse, August Break, and WishStudio's Necklace project [I've yet, as of Oct 19th, to get the necklace to add my charm tho])
- attend a retreat/class (art, photo, writing, jewelry, craft) (taking Claudine Hellmuth's 12-week online mixed-media art e-course--this will have to suffice, as budget is not going to allow for in-person retreat this year!)
- attend UK boot sale, charity shop spree (not gonna happen this year)
- complete Bikram 60-day challenge (attempted a 30-day one in April, but it was too much too soon--wiped me out. hope to try it again later in year)
- submit piece to Art Wall online art store (did not happen, not sure I still want to happen)
- add to Fiestaware (hmm, do I want this to happen?)
- start compost bin (set one up May 2010!!!)
- see atleast 3 live shows (one down: Muse 3/18...but that's it...dern, thought 3 was totally doable)
- go to the beach w/ my girlz (spent a week in SPI for D's 40th Birthday--woot woot)
- take 1 photo every day (this is dead in the water--is it too late to restart on 3/19?)
- go dancing (I was about to say not gonna happen, but it actually happened in conjunction with #15 above...it was lame & I didn't really get my dance on, but it happened)
- make xmas ornaments (still could happen as of Dec 1, likely won't)
- have sex somewhere new (well this ain't gonna happen...sigh!)
- move (this hasn't happened--I left it vague to mean either move house or move my body [i.e. exercise], but neither's really come to pass)
So there we go...20 things for oh-10! Can't wait to get started...hoping for a busy & bustling & energetic year!!!